- Research into soil physical, chemical, biological characteristics and plant nutrition processes and ascertainment of their regularities.
- Research into agricultural and forest plants’ genetics, biotechnology, physiology and biochemistry, plant breeding, seed production, conservation and development of plant genetic resources.
- Research into agricultural and forestry plants’ biology regularities, modelling of agrobiological systems determining quality and productivity.
- Research into agricultural and forestry crops’ microbiological, pathological, pathogenetic control, toxicology tests of plant raw materials and products.
- Modelling and optimization of agricultural and forest plant productsâ processing processes and storage methods, safety and control of plant food products, research on horticultural plantsâ biologically active substances in natural and processed produce.
- Research into sustainability of agro and forest ecosystems under changing climate conditions.
- Research into agricultural, horticultural and silvicultural systems, investigation of social and economic problems intended for agricultural and forestry policy shaping.
Objectives of Lithuanian Research Centre for Agriculture and Forestry:
- to carry out long-term basic and applied research, experimental development activities pertinent to the national economy, accrue and disseminate scientific expertise necessary for rational and sustainable use of land, forest and environment resources and high quality production;
- to contribute to the assurance of scientific competence of the state agricultural and forestry sciences’ fields;
- to cooperate with the representatives of business, governmental authorities and the public, to carry out commissioned work of research and experimental development, provide methodological and other support;
- to disseminate scientific know-how to the general public, to contribute to the development of innovation and knowledge-based economy and to the upbringing of knowledge-receptive society;
- to gather, systemize and publicise the scientific expertise, introduce it in production and environmental protection, develop plant genetic resources, seed production, protect plant biodiversity and environment, carry out chemical tests of soils, food, forage and industrial raw materials, and in this way foster harmonious and resource-saving agricultural, forestry and rural development;
- in cooperation with higher educational institutions to prepare researchers, assist in training specialists, carry out formal and informal training and education.